Complete France Forum

Horses

Pamela

We have almost completed buying a house not far from Bonnat - near Gouret (Limousin)

We will not be moving permanently for another few years, but would like to make enquiries regarding horse food suppliers, blacksmith & saddler (and anything horsy) around that area.

most people seem to get their horsey stuff from Decathlon. I took my eldest daughter to Decathlon while she was visiting and she went into raptures about the stock and most of all the prices!

Hard food is available at most GammVert / Les Bricanautes / Natea or similar. As these seem to be affiliates rather than a chain they vary a lot in terms of stock, prices and service so shop around.

Hay and straw can be bought from local farmers, and if you have land to make your own hay the standard procedure is to get a farmer to cut and bale then he takes half. If you're not sure of the farmer then be there when he does it so you can count the bales together... last year my friend was told they'd done 18 bales from her field, this year a different farmer made 41 (same size!)

Finding a farrier tends to be word of mouth - unfortunately you're out of the area for ours, who is excellent.

If you go to a centre d'equestre for riding lessons/ hacking out before you bring your horses over you will no doubt pick up lots of contacts to say nothing of the required french vocabulary!

Thanks for reply.  Will have a "nose about" next time we are over for longer spell.  (We have a few days in December, but will have more time in the summer.)   As I said, there is plenty of time because we will not be in France permanently for a few more years.   At the moment we are in the Middle East (Qatar) and though I don't have a horse of my own at the moment, I am riding at a desert farm.  That will be something else to do when we settle in France - look for a horse (plus companion) to buy !  OR find someone else with a horse who would like to share our land (for free) which would save having to buy a second horse !!  (Worth a thought later.)

Archived