Complete France Forum

fishing

paradis

Coarse fishing the Dordogne River – Bergerac

There is excellent coarse fishing on the Dordogne River in the town of Bergerac. I found the first point of contact was EuroPeche, big shop on the Route de Bordeaux, opposite the Chinese restaurant. Some of the staff speak English and are very helpful. They sell fishing licences and have a good stock of UK style fishing equipment and a comprehensive range of Fox items. They have a second, smaller, shop in the town, Place du Foirail, by the big car park. The man in the shop is very knowlegable regarding baits and where to fish. He recommended, near to Sport Nautique de Bergerac, for Roach and Bream and Creysse, 6Km from Bergerac towards Lalinde, for Carp. He also sells fishing licences.

I found a good spot on Rue Albert Garrigat, there is good parking and steps down to a riverside park. I enjoyed excellent float fishing catching Bream, Roach and Carp using corn as bait. I did use ground bait to get the fish on the feed.

The locals appear to fish using a pole to catch small fish for bait, and then ledger out towards deep water for predators, I fished close to a French fisherman for a couple of days, I saw him catch plenty of small fish but no runs on the ledger rig.

Archived