Complete France Forum

Kitesurfing for Beginners

Hi All

Anyone have experiance of this?   I would like to take my 2 boys (aged 18 and 19) on a Kitesuring course, say 3 or 4 days somewhere in France (I'm guessing by the sea [:P]  ) and preferably on the West coast, in early September before they go back to Uni.

Anyone know of such a place they could recomend ?

Please PM or email me if you know of a suitable place or indeed, even run a kitesurf school!

Coincidentally, I was talking to a friends nephew yesterday who is currently taking a course in kitesurfing.

This is in Coudalere, not far from Bacares near Perpignan in 66. He seems pleased with the course. Sorry, don't know any more details.

That part of the Med coast the tourist info claim something like 300+ days of wind a year and looking at our meteo I can believe that claim. Could be a good place to look?

Try googling it, I think you will come up with more than you can look at Pierre. Might even find the right plain/plane or kite/kight [6] ?

Good luck and let us know how you get on, or off as the case may be [6]!![:D]

Many thanks to all who kindly responded to my question. 

J-J I did try Googling but there were so many places I thought I'd try for a personal recomendation.

The schools seem to fall broadly into 2 camps, the established school with well trained instructors and a serious attitude to safety (with safety boats, small teaching groups etc) and the sort of 'come and try this while you are on holiday' type.  I may be doing some of these places a disservice but that is what comes accross from websites and really that's all I have to go on.

One thing I hadn't reckoned on was a requirement for a medical before you can do this.  As was pointed out to me in  a PM, it is quite likely that many of these places have a 'tame' doctor to give the check-up, I will have to investigate  (I think a Doc would take one look at me and say 'What!!! are you mad!!!??'

So, I think it might be a non-starter for this year but I'll see what can be done for 2009.

Thanks again to all.

Hi Pierre

We've seen a kite surfing school in St Malo (Paramé) which seems serious.  The instructors seem to take a lot of time with beginners on land before going into the water.  The problem seems to be not getting the strings tangled, and keeping the kite in the air.  Whilst you need enough breeze to get a lift, they can't start off in a Force 7.  It looks a lot of fun and there are always loads of them out - along with windsurfers.  The beach is brilliant and well managed.

But this is the north, not the west coast...

Archived