Complete France Forum

BGP Move : Good news or bad?

According to the news today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7489662.stm

the British Grand Prix is to move to Donington from 2010 onwards. 

Donny is a circuit I love and I personally think it may be seriously bad news if BE et al get their hands on it.  It will be a sad day if it becomes as bland as Silverstone is these days.  Or is this just Bernie's idea for giving Silverstone a wake up call?

Some friends of ours live in the village of CD. 

On hearing the news, I sent him a 'rent-out-your-house,-worth-thousands' email.  His response, with expletives duly edited, as follows:  

Actually I doubt if the roads can cope here round the track.

A couple of months ago Renault put tickets free to download on the net for an event here and 35,000 people turned up........total and utter chaos for most of the day.

It will be a weekend for either going away or locking the doors and staying in....

I'm not a motor racing particularly, but as far as I can make out from the Press reports over the last year or two, it was Ecclestone saying "Find another venue, or no British GP". (i.e. we'll have a Latvian GP instead).

So, avoid the M1 up there in early July from 2010 onwards, eh?

Personally, I suspect that a Latvian GP is the more likely of the two options!  I cannot see Donny ever working - the infrastructure just isn't there and my experience (most recently at a sports' car race) is that the roads cannot cope - I agree with your friend.  I still reckon this is BE trying to strong-arm Silverstone. 

Ultimately, I couldn't give a st*ff where GP's (you'd have to pay me to go to one) are held and am not sure that Britain gains much by hosting one these days.  Most of the money seems to come from TV coverage as far as I can see and more of that will come from places where tobacco advertising is unregulated.  I reckon we've seen the last French GP for a start.  Good riddance, as far as I am concerned.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Or is this just Bernie's idea for giving Silverstone a wake up call?[/quote]I think they had that in spades a few years back with that quagmire car park fiasco. They failed to heed it then and have finally paid the price for their arrogance and greed.

Without the income from FI, there will be neither the cash nor the incentive to improve it now so it's RIP Silverstone.

I agree, Donnington is a great track, lets hope it fares well under the patronage of the poison dwarf [:'(]

• 9 months later...

Archived