Complete France Forum

question from a bbq novice

mint

Some friends have bequeathed me their gas bbq as they have returned to the UK (and I suspect they have seen the weather forecast for South Wales)[:D]

It looks very nice and OH has gone out and bought a gas cylinder for it.  It seems to light fine and I am looking forward to sitting back whilst the man of the house gets to grip with the cooking (chance would be a very fine thing)[:-))]

What I want to know is, what happens to the fat, marinade, dripping and other yucky stuff that will come off the food and drip on to the artificial volcanic rocks below?

Does the "stuff" need to be cleaned off the rocks or at least off the bottom of the pan at some time?

Look, if nobody explains all this to me, I will not light it and then I won't be able to have the LF bbq at my house after all![I]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Some friends have bequeathed me their gas bbq as they have returned to the UK (and I suspect they have seen the weather forecast for South Wales)[:D]

It looks very nice and OH has gone out and bought a gas cylinder for it.  It seems to light fine and I am looking forward to sitting back whilst the man of the house gets to grip with the cooking (chance would be a very fine thing)[:-))]

What I want to know is, what happens to the fat, marinade, dripping and other yucky stuff that will come off the food and drip on to the artificial volcanic rocks below?

Does the "stuff" need to be cleaned off the rocks or at least off the bottom of the pan at some time?

Look, if nobody explains all this to me, I will not light it and then I won't be able to have the LF bbq at my house after all![I]

[/quote]

You will have to replace the 'rocks' eventually, after a few years, as they degrade with heat. Other than that, give it a very hot burn to get rid of the 'flavoursome yuck' ........enjoy.

I used to have a great big Australian gas BBQ, and excess fat would run off into a separate tray that could be emptied.

Fat on the "rocks" was burnt off at the end of each BBQ by turning it up to the highest setting and closing the lid for 10 minutes.

SD, sausage pink on the inside but do you want it charred on the outside?[:D]

"Flavoursome yuck" being served up any minute now, Steve, and you shall be the first to taste it.

Cat, can I please have a whisky on the rocks instead of fat on the rocks?

Thank you for telling me all this, y'all.  Greatly appreciated.  First bbq with anticipation tomorrow.......[:D]

Hello, all you bbq experts and especially everyone who so kindly gave me advice............

Here's my update:

First ever bbq with OH (thought I'd better try it first before inviting anybody) went like a dream.

Potatoes baked in foil, pavé of salmon marinated in whole-grained mustard, soya sauce, runny honey, lemon juice, black pepper baked in foil and skewers of peppers, onions, mushrooms and courgettes.

All were superb and all the yucky stuff just burned off as you have told me it would.

Now, what shall I cook on it next?  Suggestions, please................[:D]

Archived