Complete France Forum

can they do this?

lollypop

to cut a long short, if there is no written, signed contract between a client and an artisan , can either force the other to a) pay or b) complete unpaid for work? i need to know definitively if possible, thank you in advance!

From being in business here 18years, any artisan worth his salt would provide a double devis which the client signs with lui et accepté etc stated on and dated. It is not obligatory to have a start and finish date in a contract but if you do and BOTH PARTIES MUST SIGN for this, it is legally binding unless there is a clear reason for late finishing that cannot be avoided.

If there is no devis either forwarded by the artisan in french and nothing signed by the client then there are no obligations and for a litigation case, the original french devis would be required by both the avocat and the judge. All items must be listed on the devis and prices stated plus TVA where applicable and details of payments, insurance and siret number etc also must appear.

End of the day, if the job is not finished by the artisan there is no insurance in place and if the client does not pay in full for works completed, the insurance is also null and void. I have been there and done that with 6years of misery so I know what is acceptable here. If an artisan has a signed contract and walks off the job he can be taken to court and be held responsable but end of the day, no contract usually means it is black work and the courts would also want to see details of payments made and received.

Archived