Complete France Forum

Grass ruined by our dog

Dianes

This is not really to do with France, but has anyone any advice on how to restore our lawn. We've had our dog for three years now, and the shrubs and borders are fine, but the lawn is ruined from where he pees. It is now thick clumps between bald or brown patches, and is horrendous to mow. Neighbours go out to flush the lawn with a bucket of water when their (female) dog pees, but I couldn't keep up with that with mine. He is a prolific pee-er. The garden is too big to gravel, and too small to have a fenced off separate area for the dog. However, if its a choice between dog and garden, I'm afraid the dog wins.
There is a link with France - we're bringing him out to France with us in the summer, and our lawn over there is brand new - help!

Diane

The solution is to train your dog to pee where you think he should; I'd ask for advice under the pets forum if it were me; it will probably be easier in his new home if the rules are clear from day one than in his old one where he is used to going where he pleases.

To answer your question, apart from training your dog, follow these steps.

Scarify vigorously, twice in the spring and twice in the autumn. In spring seed and water daily where you have seeded for at least two weeks, preferably three. Should do the tick.

The Rake

Archived