Complete France Forum

chainsaw

james Mallett

I have a Stihl chainsaw which is not cutting very well.

I think the blades on the chain need sharpening after heavy use last year.

Is it easy to do this or would I be best paying someone to do it or buying a new chain ?

If so , does anyone have a rough idea of prices for sharpening or a new chain.

Thanks

Tony 

I was surprised to discover that chains typically need sharpening after every hour or so, when cutting oak. We were given a special tool to do this when we bought our latest chainsaw but they appear to be available for just a few euros, and whilst it's quite easy to do it's somewhat time-consuming and tedious. 

Only yesterday we bought a replacement chain for about 25 euros (fitted), which means we can carry on sawing for longer, doing the sharpening overnight.

F24.

Easy Peasy to do it yourself, and this is Mrs Washy speaking.....you need to buy the right size file from you local DIY or garden centre.  We do this sometimes but the cost at our local farm outlet shop in the next village is about 7 euros.

It's quite easy if you have the right sized file

Each tooth needs just a few strokes with the file (hold it at the same angle as the tooth) - maybe a few more in your case if it has never been sharpened

You know when it is sharp because the file doesn't bite against the tooth anymore - it just glides smoothly.

Takes about 15mins tops, and much cheaper!

Back in the days when G*d was but a slip of a lad, one of the chainsaw makers (?Oregon) sold a gizmo to make the sharpening job easier - it clamped on the the saw blade (? the bit that the chain runs around) and ensured that the file was at the correct angle. First one set of teeth than turn it around for the other set.

Sorry but cannot remember any more.

John

Weldoms sharpened my Stihls last year for 5 euros each. I find this the safest, easiest option as they oiled and airbrushed them clean at the same time.

They will also let you know if anything is bent or needs replacing.

Don't know if they're a national chain - there are certainly several Weldoms in Poitou-Charente.

regards.....helen

PS Never mess about with a chainsaw!

Archived