Complete France Forum

Chlorine and plants

Fleur

I did do a search but can't find the answer. This is going to sound so stupid.

We have a large  inflatable pool which is now due to be emptied. It has had minimal chlorine treatment.

Will this water damage plants? In particular and most importantly, will this damage newly planted conifer hedging?

Thanks

Chlorine is basically bleach, so I doubt that you garden would appreciate it. In fact in the UK it is illegal to discharge any swimming pool water into road drains as it is effects rivers and streams, it has to be discharge via property sewers so that it is treated before entering water systems.

Baz

Chlorine does not remain in the water (it gets used up doing its job of cleaning pool) hence the need to add daily dose. If you stop adding chlorine then check for its presence a few days later i am sure you wiil find none present. You should then be safe in using it no the garden.

Remember a few thousand litres of water is a lot of garden watering.

Regards Colin

[quote]Chlorine does not remain in the water (it gets used up doing its job of cleaning pool) hence the need to add daily dose. If you stop adding chlorine then check for its presence a few days later i am s...[/quote]

If you want to be sure, just wait until you get some algae build up - this is a clear indicator that risidual cholrine is exhausted - before emptying the pool.

Archived