Complete France Forum

watering

dandaz

Hi

I`ve just planted some trees cherry, apple,plum and pear.....

I was just woudering while I`m in Blighty in the summer months how can I water them I have a well and pump btw...or is there some sort of upside-down bottle with loads of pipes sort of contraption....??

Mick

Firstly I would put a bit of nice wide pipe down to the root area so that you can water direct to the roots with either a can or hose. Next I would get some black permiable plastic and cover the root area (NOT bin liner plastic it needs to be the gardening sort that lets rain through). Finally cover with pebbles or gravel. This will stop water evaporation and keep the roots damp in a dry spell. When you water, water gallons and not just a can or two.

Hope your trees do well. Ours suffered a bit this year as we had a very very wet winter and once they went in it seemed to rain for months. They are on the flooded side of the field (well it flooded last year with springs popping up everywhere) and the rain was followed by a rather dry summer. We have had half a days rain in the last 2 weeks here and after the flooded land of last year we have reasonable land this year. Our bamboo has done well and as this was a cutting of one we got as a £1 cutting years ago we are rather proud of it.

Hope that this helps

Archived