Complete France Forum

Kaki tree?

Geranium

Our new house has a huge kaki tree.  The fruit are peach sized, thin skinned and bright orange and ripe now. In the UK they are called persimmons.

I've learnt that they have to be very ripe and soft before they are edible but how does one do this?  Do you leave them on the tree? Do they then fall off though and rot? Can you pick them and store them (how?) and let them ripen?

Finally what else can you do with them - I'm going to have hundreds!

HI

I think you leave them on the tree until as my dutch friend puts it they look like they are ready for the poubelles (rubbish) then they are delicious and ready to eat.

Will be interested to hear as if you pick them too early they are supposed to taste revolting.

CaroleS (16)

Kaki - that's the Japanese name. Yummy!!

You can leave some of them on the tree after the leaves have gone just to look pretty and give the birds something to get at.

Pick them when they are still firm but a bright yellow orange colour. They keep for a week or so but get rather soft when they become red. You can put them with some apples to get them to ripen. Eat them while they are still firm but are orange and not yellow. (Cut in quarters and peal them.)

You can make jam or pickles, add them to a salad - but - there are several types of kaki. Some seedless and some not sweet at all and considered inedible. So, make sure of the typeof persimmon that you have.

I am really pleased to know they can grow in France and I intend to get one for my garden when I am settled in.

Coral - soon to be in Ariege - I hope!

Thanks for your replies.  I have certainly tried an unripe fruit before (from Waitrose in UK) and it was absolutely foul, making my mouth go all dry.  I now know to wait until they are really really soft, so I am not sure about Corals note about peeling them.

Alexis, I am intrigued by the recipes for chutney and marmalade. Is this a magazine I can get (I will be in France from 20th December) or can you send me the recipes somehow please?

Thanks again!

Sorry, there weren't any recipes.  Just suggestions.  Apparently cannelle goes down big with them.  Can't think what cannelle is in English.

Will check my Froggie recipes books and hopefully find something.  Google might have something too.

I can tell you that for jellies you need one pound of sugar for one pint of liquid.  Nothing could be easier.

I have just had a Kaki with my dinner .  I peeled it like a pear - it had the texture of a ripe pear and the size of a very large tomato. Absolutely delicious!! Not super sweet but it tasted clean and fresh.  Waah!! too late to go to the shop to get some more and the tree on the hill behind me has been stripped by the kids and the crows.

Like tomatoes if they get soft they are best made into a sauce for a dessert.  If you'd like, I'll try and get some recipes for you and pm them to you . 

Coral - soon to be in Ariege - I hope!

It would be great to collect recipes using kaki (after all I'm going to have HUNDREDS of them).

Alexis, I know cannelle is cinnamon and can imagine this would be a good spice to use.  I'd love to try making jellies. Do you mean you use sugar, liquid or pulp (eg. cider OR plum pulp) and that's it? Surely there must be a setting agent?

I think a recipe book using french foods is needed!  I've already told someone how to cook fresh foie gras on the forum and I know a lot of people have sweet chestnuts.  Mmm now what about all those different mushrooms some expats must be coming across on their land?...

Ha!  My OH won't touch mushrooms not bought in the supermarket.  Every year here there are deaths from mushroom poisoning.  Me, I would like to study it more closely but it isn't worth it!  Mushroom season  is a VERY big event around here.  Chataignes are just a big fiddle.  Cheaper to buy them!

On the subject of jellies, I made some wonderfull redcurrant jelly in season and I found the recipe after I had mailed.  I simmered 1kg berries, stalks and all with a drop of water.  Left to drain overnight either in a muslin bag or through a seive lined it resulted in 700g liquid.  To this I added 600g jam sugar.  Thickens very quickly.   Mind, redcurrants are full of pectin.  I think!  The secret it not to squeeze the bag as that makes the liquid cloudy.  I made three jars and had a bit left over so I added port to it........Oooh! 

I am not very well up on kaki fruit.  Do they have pips?  Stones?  If so they will help it set.  The jam sugar helps too.  If you are going to have tons, you can experiment and it doesn't matter if it goes a bit wrong!

Archived