Complete France Forum

What's it called??

ajuk

I am try to fax a "brico" place for some items to be delivered when we return to France - so not wanting to order the wrong stuff - could anybody advise the equivalent name in french for the following:-

pea grit (gravel to cover areas of the garden/used in trenches)

pressure treated wood (to repair the verandah)

Any help welcome

Thanks

Hi

We have never seen that type of gravel in our area - I think it depends on what is available locally as France is a big country and they tend to supply what they can get. With regard to wood, trust us, if you can think of it they have it, in every size imaginable, until you want a delivery of course... The only thing to do to ensure you 'may' get what you want is to go in person or get someone to go for you and ensure that they write down what you actually want.

As an example. We ordered a delivery of pine floorboards. Set size and width. Never been a problem before. The floorboards came in three deliveries (which they then tried to charge a delivery charge for each one although it was their fault), the first delivery was fine, the second and third contained different width and length boards - all under the same order. Luckily we managed to get away with using them as it is our build and there are lots of areas that will not be seen. This is all normal over here.

One way round this would be to find someone in your area who would be willing to organise the delivery for you and who speaks French. Other than that, I would not order via fax without seeing what I was getting.

Sorry I am not much help.

[quote]I am try to fax a "brico" place for some items to be delivered when we return to France - so not wanting to order the wrong stuff - could anybody advise the equivalent name in french for the following...[/quote]

I would agree with the first reply that if you want to be sure of getting the correct materials it is essential to fetch it yourself or at least to go in person to order the products.

If you intend to be in France for some time, either as a second home or permanent resident, buy a trailer to collect your materials as delivery is often expensive and in some cases can be as much as it cost for the materials.

I don't know the exact name for the 'pea shingle' but in Mayenne area it is widely available at Bricos and Cam (Cooperative Agricole Mayenne) (?). 

weedon

Archived