Complete France Forum

Yes, you've guessed it - it's all about wells!  We're just moving house in France and our new one has two wells.  The first is in the garden and will be great for watering plants but the second is in the cellar and there are loads of mosquito's in there.  We would eventually like to use this water but we have no idea of how to get rid of this infestation or of how to maintain a well - is there something special that has to be done on a regular basis??  Has anyone else had this problem and if so please could you give us some advice.

Trisha & Paul

The answer is fish - goldfish will do it. Before you say they need light, I have heard of gardeners in the UK who use them in their water buts to keep the problem down and they keep the lid on all the time. Chemicals are not the answer obviously.

Sorry, just had another thought, put a lid on it - then you will not have any larva as the mozzies will not be able to get in.

Fish?????????

In a well for water for use???????

Am I missing something here? Surely the fecal matter from the fish, and breakdown products from uneaten fish-food would render the water unusable except for watering the garden?

Alcazar

Sorry Alcazar, I assumed that any well open enough to get an infestation of mozzies would have bacteria and other nasties so was not being thought of for drinking use but garden use. If this well is for potable supplies then a lot more than covering it needs to be done.

I couldn't see us putting goldfish down it - it would feel like I was killing them and I already have a different problem of transporting our beloved koi to France! 

We eventually want to use the water so we know we've got to get it tested but what do you do to clean it up in the first place!!!!!!!!!  Is a long ladder the order of the day, with a good potholer person who carries a mop bucket and mozzie repellant in hand?

Trisha

There are companies which clean wells. When our water was declared 'non-potable' we tried to find one - unfortunately the only local candidate had closed down, but the local mairie may be able to help. I believe the process is to empty the well, scour it out and then let it refill.

Thanks, I had no idea that there was such a thing as a well cleaning company, I thought it was a DIY thing.  We will ask our Marie for some advice   Neither of us fancied the idea of lowering ourselves down into it, especially as it's a long way down!! 

Archived