Complete France Forum

Boundary planting

Richardk

Does anyone know what the regulations are with regards to planting on a boundary with a neighbour? I have a feeling you can't have plants over a certain height within 1 metre? But what is the certain height and is it 1 metre!?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Richard

Richard you could ask your neighbours, or groan, go to the Mairie.

In our commune it's 1 metre within the boundary from our neighbour, but we allowed more than that to allow for shearing, eventually. It certainly never occurred to me that there could be a restriction in height for plants, although there is one for a fence or wall (which could have been erected on the boundary). The whole point of some of my hedge is to screen us from one neighbour, and it needs to get to a fair height before it will work.

We were also told one metre for the boundary to the road, but we allowed more than 2 metres for that.

tresco (17)

the boundaries here are rather odd aren't they?  Our house is down a public road but it goes nowhere but to our property and is a dead end when you reach our cottage.  We have planted 2 rows of cherry blossom trees along the road and have been told by our farmer,  who doesn't mind personally that we have done it, but it is strictly forbidden to plant anything on a public road.  He thought this was rather funny!

Archived