Complete France Forum

Vermiculite/ Perlite

Jonrev

Likewise I have looked in Normandy and parts of Eure and Orne - to no avail. Does it exist in France, I wonder?  I have resorted to bringing bags of it back with me when I have visited the U.K. At least it weighs less than most of the things I haul over!

Susannah.

• 2 weeks later...

It exists

I have been looking myself for vermiculite and just come across tonnes of the stuff in Semat (the builders merchant) as it is used for insulation too (very good to fill chimney voids after you have installed a flu pipe as it is totally fire resistant)

It comes in BIG 25kg sacs and is much much cheaper that buying 5kg from a garden centre but you may find it is not the fine grade stuff. I had a look and the grain size doesn't seem much different that that used in horticulture.

I will be using it for all my cuttings and topping off my seed trays in spring

Rather handily it's called vermiculite in France

• 4 weeks later...

[quote]It exists I have been looking myself for vermiculite and just come across tonnes of the stuff in Semat (the builders merchant) as it is used for insulation too (very good to fill chimney voids afte...[/quote]

Hello.

Excuse my ignorance but I was avised I should be putting some vermiculite in the bac egraisse (read: fosse septique). Is this the same stuff you are talking about ?

regards

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered some seeds from Thompson and Morgan UK Ltd, which has a set up in Paris as well and noticed in their catalogue that they sell Vermiculite but it is quite expensive.  I had some shipped out here last year, my friends were only to please to bring it for me as it was light and they used it to pack around some china they were also transporting.

I like the sound of the stuff mentioned in the previous reply, and will look for this, can you be sure there are no adverse chemicals in it though that could affect plant growth?

• 4 months later...

Having more seed failures due to waterlogging of compost (due to waterlogging of veggie beds I thougtht I would start things off in pots ) we were with Ian Hoare and his wife and were shown a nice size bag of Vermiculite from www.baumaux.com - very cheap - under 3€ BUT delivery is a bit heavy unless you order other items.

I am going to raid the various piles of builders sand tomorrow IF I can get to my little polytunnel. A spring has now sprung up just in front of the door - someone tell me it will stop raining long enough for some gardening soon - situation Lot, 464 metres high and wet wet wet.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived