Complete France Forum

paeony problems

Chauffour

I'm having trouble with my paeonies - any ideas?

The flower buds are dry & brittle; there is something attracting ants onto the buds; could this be weakening the plant?

The soil is clay and last year we added a load of 3yr old manure, so there should be enough goodness in the soil.

They are in full sun, but is has been quite dry; this could also have contributed to the problem.

Over to you!

Could the buds have been caught by a late spring frost?

Did you disturb the paeony when you added the manure? They don't like being messed around with too much.

The ants, well, have you seen any greefly on the plant?. Ants have a nice little arrangement with greenfly, they give protection to them in return for eating their waste

[quote]Could the buds have been caught by a late spring frost? Did you disturb the paeony when you added the manure? They don't like being messed around with too much. The ants, well, have you seen any gr...[/quote]

it's possible there was a late frost.....nothing can be done about that..

There are no greenflies, but I've also noticed ants eating rose buds now! They are actually eating the young buds of the paeony. (and there are no greenflies on either)

If the buds are weakened and there is a lack of usual food around for ants I wonder if it's just a one off due to the weather conditions this year???

We live in (50) and with an acidic soil of some 5.7ph.  Thus we are told absolutely unsuitable for growing either paeonies or tree paeonies.  Would love to grow them but just cannot change condition of the soil without lots of chemicals and we are against that.

Here in the UK the most well-known paeony people are based at Langport near Taunton but unfortunately I have forgotten their name. 

If you could find this out they have a great web-site and will also help you over the telephone.

sorry I just cannot remember the name of the organisation.

Archived