Complete France Forum

Well water and veg

Jackie

Assuming that we can still use well water for the veg plot and apologies if this has been asked before but does the well water need testing?

I find it difficult to believe that anything nasty like bacteria or chemicals, other than the ones that it wants, could get into a potato, a broad bean or an onion say as I assume the plant root system would filter such things out but I am rather ignorant on such matters. Could anyone that knows about these things be good enough to respond as I don't want to poison ourselves nor do I want to pay out for a needless analysis.

Someone has already suggested pumping the well out a few times first to get rid of accumulated chemicals etc but would this be enough. I am well aware that an analysis would be needed for drinking the stuff which we don't want to do................John not Jackie 

Your local pharmacy can test your water for you - the last time I had it done it cost, I think, about £20. They should also be able to advise you on what you can use the water for, after they get the analysis.

I have been told by French friends that they get their water tested every 10 years...

Archived