Complete France Forum

I have a cherry tree!!!!!

SaligoBay

At last, I've joined you all in the joys of harvesting my own crop.  That straggly thing in the garden suddenly sprouted cherries!!!!    Picked them today, what we could reach, and left some for the red squirrel, who is cuteness abounding, scampering off with a cherry in its mouth, bet it was off to audition for a photo opportunity in a Patience Strong calendar.

There's even another fruity-looking tree out the back (by "out the back" read "the pine-needle-strewn two metres between the back of our house and next door's fence"), but I'm not sure what that is yet.  Could be apricots, I'll have to wait till they're the right colour, then I'll know.

But this cherry tree, apparently I have to treat it.  Help!!!!!  Should I prune it, and if so when, do I have to rub soothing balm into its bark, or what?

Please help me, this gardening lark is SO stressful!!!!  But my jasmine plant is still just alive, after 2 weeks.   This is possibly a Personal Best for me, so maybe things are looking up.      

Or homemade cherry compote with homemade scones

Will ask our Arbhorist when he returns from flexing his muscles when you should trim your tree.

PS don`t spit your cherry stones in next doors garden.......ours complained! Mr O blamed it on the birds

Mrs O

I think you should wait till the middle of summer to prune a stoned () fruit tree. Thing is, it has to be done just right, not too much, not to little, but still it gives you time to research.

Really though, I am far more concerned about the neglect of your plastic roses SB, we havn't heard about them for a while now. Hope you aren't neglecting your first loves now all these living things have invaded.

Really though, I am far more concerned about the neglect of your plastic roses SB, we havn't heard about them for a while now. Hope you aren't neglecting your first loves now all these living things have invaded.

Certainly not!!  I even planted the jasmine next to the plastic rose bush.   The rose bush is still upright, the jasmine is now leaning droopily towards it.   Something deep in the recesses of my brain suggests "water", so I might give that a go and see what happens, although it did rain about a week ago, so I'd assumed that would be enough for a long time.   Perhaps I have too much faith in plant life?

Mrs O, I'd have to put a lot of work into my spitting technique to get them next door, the hedges are about 10 feet high!   Worth a try tho, eh? 

SB i am trusting you here, as you have frequently said you kill plants etc. If it is fairly newly planted, give it plenty of water, even if it rains it may not be enough. Lots, slow and steady, at the base of the plant early morning or in the evening is best.

Food too, at this time of the year, they like that.

Archived