Complete France Forum

Ivy VS Clematus

Fumanzoku

I have some ivy spreading over the front of the house (as intended), it has now reached my clematus, my question is can the clematus survive within the ivy ? Or will one strangle/kill off the other ?

Don't know hat variety of ivy it is, it was a gift but it's not the weedy harmful type that grows everywhere.

If the ivy is clinging to the wall it won't strangle the clematis, and the clematis's i've got don't stangle things they are growing through, they just use them to get where they want to go. Ivy and clematis sounds like it could be a nice combination.

Do you know what sort of Clematis it is? I'm looking for one whose flowers don't fade in the sunshine here

Hi Tresco,

I have two types - one is a Montana, I can't remember what the other is but it grows much slower than the Montana and has larger, fewer, more purple flowers, could be Ville de Lyon. I bought them here as seeds. The flowers don't fade but they don't last long, they're already gone now, (I'm in south Vendee). I'd prefer something more permenant, perhaps Bourganvillia (sp?) Think I'll just let them battle it out then.

Hi again.

I'm growing the clematis's I have in combination with fabulous scarlet scented climbing roses, (well they will be, they are only 2 foot high at the moment:rolleyes, so there will be flowers of one sort or another at different times. You could also plant a clematis that flowers at a different time with the one you have now. I don't know whether the ivy will take all the weight on its own, as a Montana can really romp off, but you could always trim it to keep it sensible.

I tend to take hardiness ratings with a pinch of salt, but I don't think Bouganvilia (sp?,) will survive here, unless it's in a pot and put somewhere protected in the winter.

In the UK we had a fantastic clematis growing through an old apple tree, called Madame Boisselot (Sp?).  It had beautiful white flowers about 6-7 inches across - being white, presumably they won't fade but don't know how it would fair in a hot climate.

Archived