Complete France Forum

My melons are cracking!!!!

Danny

Can anyone help?! One of the watermelons got to be just a bit bigger than a tennis ball and then split. Am I watering too much? Not enough? Any ideas appreciated as I don't want the others to go the same way.

Thanks, Jane.

I feel a bit of a fraud making a suggestion on this one as I've never had much luck with melons myself. However - it sounds like the result of having gone without water for a bit then getting loads which resulted in stop and start growth. The rule seems to be "little and often", like so many things.

Good luck!

On the subject of melons....I've only planted one plant -just to see what might happen.I have 3 lovely looking melons (2 are the size that you buy in the shops).My question is- how do you know when they are ready to pick? Will they sort of drop off?

Thanks for the replies - I think little and often is the answer. It is so dry here that when I have time to water I go a bit mad which is probably really bad for the plants. With regards to when they are ripe - they won't drop off, but you should see them turning orangey/yellow from green and they should smell really perfumed and give a bit when pressed at the top. This is what happens with my neighbours', anyway  -he has more success than me!!

Jane

Archived