Complete France Forum

Rusty Vines

maxsan

Hi

I have several (oldish) grape vines in my garden which appear to have reddish rusty marks on the leaves. The vines produce a few bunches but nothing worth shouting about, plus they are a little bitter. I have tried to copy my neighbours example of cutting off excess strands, as his vines produce an abundance of fruit, but still no luck. I am assuming that the rust coloured marks are causing a problem for the vines?? Would apppreciate any advice.

Done a google on Grapevine leaf rust and found:

Grapevine leaf rust (GLR) is a disease of grapevines caused by the wind borne fungus, Phakopsora euvitis. GLR is common throughout the world..  GLR may be controlled using fungicides. 

In some areas of Australia, they are destroying infected vines to protect the commercial crop. 

Your grapes will be bitter as they are a little early to pick, they may also be wine and not eating grapes, but if you cannot do wine you could try currants by drying them

You should also be cutting out side shoots by now to deter excess and energy sapping leaf growth, this means going along each main shoot and cutting back the sideshoots that are growing between a leaf and the main stem, back to one leaf.  You can also if you have not done it, cut back shoots with fruit to two leaves past the fruit, although this is a UK recommendation and may not be necessary in France.

Archived