Complete France Forum

Cutting back in dept 17?

Carolski

Anyone got any advice as to whether or not 'one' radically cuts back clemetis and other flowering creepers in dept 17 compared to the south coast of the UK? We live in the Marias Poitevin and I'd love some advice on what to cut back and when re the afore mentioned and roses etc etc......

Merci

Carolyn[8-)]

Carolski, do you have any idea what varieties the Clematis are? There are three 'groups' which need pruning different ways, if at all.

I see (bush) roses everywhere here (about 30K eastish of you) pruned back very hard; I forgot to do mine, but I will do it in the early Spring instead.

Carol

Not all clematis like being pruned so be careful, I see no reason why you should not do exactly the same pruning regime in 17 as in the UK .  Roses should be cut back by a third now to prevent wind rock and ice in the roots and then pruned and trained in March as normal.  I have never cut back our trailing clematis, it dies down in the winter and grows back agian in the spring, I just cut away the dead wood down to a two bud branch wherever possible.

Archived