Complete France Forum

Pumpkins...

Uncle Homer

i am a novice to the vegetable growing game, but i have planted pumpkin seeds "hundred weight" and an even bigger pumpkin variety  for my Nieces and Nephew for halloween, and to eat, they are in  2-3 inch pots and in the last 2 days they have shot up to about 3" with 2 leaves on each plant.. my question is how long before i plant them out, and is there anything special i should do to ensure a good crop ?? thankyou in advance...

Plant out as soon as the last possibility of frost is past (or be prpeared to cover the plants overnight and the soil should be good and rich - add manure (rotted) or compost.  Water well and continue watering well (the majority of the hundredweight will be water - thats 50kg to you and I)

Pumpkins grow best in warm conditions (18-21 degrees) and need a long growing season, which is why you were right to start them off indoors.  The first two leaves are the seed leaves.  You can plant out once they have 3-4 true leaves (appear above the seed leaves) at the end of spring/early summer depending where you are.  Plant them up to the depth of the seed leaves - it encourages more roots.  Water well.  Ready to harvest in autumn when they have coloured up and sound hollow if you rap them with your knuckle.  They store well - allow the skins to harden in the sun.

Phil

Archived