Complete France Forum

Second-hand sit-on mower

Coco

We've been offered a sit-on mower from a Brit neighbour who is selling up.  He said it was 1650 euros brand new 5 years ago and now he would like 1000 euros.  We thought that was a little steep, as unlike a lot of the furniture in the house, which has hardly been used because it's a holiday home, the mower has been used at least once a fortnight from March to late October for the last 5 years.  Does anyone (Ty Korrigan perhaps) know how you would work out the depreciation on something like that?

We were thinking more along the lines of about 700 euros and like so many things these days, it's actually cheaper brand new now than it was then.  We've seen the same model (updated in fact) for sale in the same shop this year for 1450 euros, not on promotion.  We totally trust him that he's not trying to say it was more expensive than it was, in fact he said he can let us have the original invoice, but we think 1000 euros is a bit steep.  However, he's a really nice guy and says he still intends to come to this area for holidays and will use our B&B for his stays, so we don't want to offend him with a ridiculous offer.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Hello,

Obviously condition/hours is something I can't see here so you must judge that for yourself...

The prices of such machines have come down enormously in recent years.

What he paid for it is irrelevant and has no bearing on what you should be prepared to pay.

What it is worth against new products on the market today is the bottom line.

I say that a 5 year old machine is worth 50% of 'todays new price' unless in mint condition but this is France...

As for offending him.. It is he with the offensive price point!

Nail him!

Thanks Ty, your suggestion of 50% of today's price is about what we were thinking.  We were going to start of 600 and go up to 700 but didn't really feel like going any higher because for another 300 we could get a pretty decent brand new one.  I don't think he's trying anything on with the price, I just don't think he really knows what the market is like.  After all, he's priced his woodburner (which can only have been lit about 20 times) at 250 euros, which we plan to snap up, as it's a really pretty one and similar would cost us 500 new and they hardly have the wear and tear aspect of the mower!!

I think when people sell things now adays they expect a bit of haggling, so he wont be offended not only that you will be doing him a favour he isnt going to want to drag it all the way home is he? I agree nail him......

Archived