Complete France Forum

Clover in lawn .get rid or not ?

Frederick

I now wonder if I should leave the purple clover I have masses of in the lawn or get rid after going to look up a suitable weed killer only to find a site that states white clover in the lawn is an advantage ! and some people actually sow  white clover seed.

The clover after a couple of months away was in full purple flower on our return and we had cut the grass close when we left . I was surprised to see the height of the stuff in such a short time ...it mows off fine so the question is ......what to do with it in a lawn in the Vendee where it browns to a crisp in the summer .  .is the  PURPLE clover an advantage in the lawn  as WHITE is  reported to be or should I get rid of it ?

If you want an "English" bowling green lawn, then get rid.  The best way (least ecolologically dmaging) to do this is to feed the grass with a high nitrogen fertiliser.  It will take time but eventually the grass (which like nitrogen) will overcome the clover (which produces its own).

If you just want a nice looking patch of grassy, meadowy, greeny land, leave the clover.  It will benefit the grass because it is putting nitrogen into the soil and as you have found it mows just as well as grass.

Personally - well I never could bowl and petanque on gravel is much better.

The red or purple clover isn't a perennial and needs to set seed from one year to the next and it is an important food plant for some bumble bees, so you could happily mow it once it has finished flowering. If you really don't like it and you have sufficient ground you could manage, say 10%, for native plants like this which would be really beneficial to insects and other wildlife.

Just an idea, Chris

Thanks for the info guys.....I shall leave it . I thought it might choke out the grass. as it gets so thick ...but as we just visit throughout  the year it can take its chance flowering and helping the bees when we are not there...... and we will mow it when we are ....The speed it grows the bees will get more use out of the lawn than we will no doubt !

I would leave it. Typical 'English' lawns are not often seen in many parts of France for the good reason that they need regular water. My problem is more along the lines of 'there is grass growing in my dandelions'.

Hoddy

Archived