Complete France Forum

bean trees

sharkhunter

Hi, i have two indian bean trees in my back garden, south facing, and last year and this year thay are getting brown spots and edges which make them curl up. What causes this and what is the cure, if any, many thanks to all who take a look and reply, Hugh.

[quote user="hughmandy"]Hi, i have two indian bean trees in my back garden, south facing, and last year and this year thay are getting brown spots and edges which make them curl up. What causes this and what is the cure, if any, many thanks to all who take a look and reply, Hugh.
[/quote]

I have been growing beans and they have been having a few things eating them.  However, I found ants, loads of them and when I put ant powder down, I got more beans.  They were having what I would describe as black edges and curled up, but now they look fine.  I would never imagine that ants would have eaten them, so it looks like that was my problem.  These are ordinary runner beans though so I don't know the difference with Indian bean trees. Hops this helps.

Georgina

Have you been doing any digging around the roots? Or could it be wind or late frost damage? Have you had a look at the leaves and can you tell whether the leaves are turning brown after being eaten or infested by something - can you see any catapillars or small insects chomping, for eg? I know the Southern Catalpa (which is what I'm assuming you've got) can suffer from various diseases but I didn't think they affected catalpas in northern Europe. But I'm not an expert, I just love the trees - unsurprisingly. [:D]

Investigate and tell us more. [:)]

Hi, apart from the obvious ants there seems to be no other crawlies. Leaves are simply brown at the edges, maybe be rust as chris says? One thing does come to mind and that was last year we had a mini digger in to excavate for pool and that caused some damage to the branch that has most brown on it, maybe that was the root problem, no joke intended.Hugh.

Archived