Complete France Forum

pruning trees

londoneye

i have a very very large tree in my garden, which i believe may be a horse-chesnut (then again it may not as i confess to knowing not a lot about trees).   If it helps its currently got little yellow flowers coming on it with lots of bees.   although i know i will have to have it dealt with at some point professionally from the perspective of height, for the moment it has branches cascading down, almost willow fashion, to the ground, and i wondered if it would hurt the tree to prune these a few feet up from ground?   I appreciate this is a pretty pathetic description of what i want to do, but if anyone can interpret this into tree-speak and respond i would be grateful.    I did rather optimistically get a pruning book before i left uk but am still trying to understand terminology therein and every time i pick up a pair of pruning shears, whilst trying to hold book in third hand (which i dont have!) I lose the will to live, or lose bottle actually and - well, go back to the bottle and the book again without actually touching any trees!

I can't see you damaging it, if all you're doing is tidying up the lower branches. I had to do it to my mighty Pear Tree, and a Lime. No damage done.

Just try and do clean cuts, about an inch away from where the branch joins the tree

No you won't hurt it at all Londoneye, just cut back to other growth points, try and avoid tearout by 'step' cutting, an undercut to perhaps a quarter or fifth then the top cut slightly in front of or behing the undercut, the branch will snap off cleanly and you can then prune back to the desired point. Keep an aye on the shape and form of the tree and try to keep it's natural balance.

Good luck!

Chris

You'll be fine londoneye. If you're unsure then walk around the tree and chalk the branches you want to trim, keep walking around and imagine what the tree would look like without those branches. Be prudent with your cuts, you can take more off but can't put it back on again.

When I worked on trees I became known for working only on Oak, they really are just the most magnificent tree and to be given the reponsibility of reducing the crown of a very mature or ancient Oak was a heavy responsibility. Many of the trees were so large that one could easily become disoriented when within the crown. I used to take digital 'photos in advance and take them up with me, having first spent quite a while working out the shape I wanted and using the 'photos as maps to guide me to my target pruning points.

If you get in trouble then you (or anyone else) is welcome to call, 05 55 62 02 54, but please don't try and use the chainsaw at the same time!

And no I'm not looking for work, but if you wanted me to carve it...............

Chris

Archived