Complete France Forum

Problems of recycling !

Frederick

Our commune has come up with an idea for people to take from them compost bins to get us to put the garden stuff and other matter in rather than have it all sent to land fill ....great go along with that.... . We were sitting in  the garden a few days ago having a meal when I noticed a lot of flies and a smell that I can only describe as some dead animal nearby  it was so bad . I had to investigate  where it was coming from and the sound  of  buzzzing flies brought me to a section of my hedge On the other side of the hedge on looking through and parked against the hedge was the guy next doors recently aquired compost bin. .....I can only assume that madam has been putting her  meat kitchen  waste in with the garden grass cuttings etc and started off a blue-bottle  breeding colony ......I like my neighbors and they I am sure have no idea that they are having this effect  by their wish to follow the recycle code....I now have the job of trying to get  them to move the compost bin........or to stop putting kitchen waste in it that attracts flies and  I know they will be upset to think they have caused me a problem ......not looking forward to this one !

It's a tricky one, but you have to do it - that's stopping what she is doing, as moving the bin won't help.

If she is putting meat etc on it, there will be vermin, as well as flies, and the compost will be ...yeuch.

On most well regulated compost heaps, you'll get the occasional mouse. On hers, there will be big fluffy rats!

Did any advice come with the bins? Can you ask whoever provided you with the bins to provide instructions?

Hi  Tresco.........The Marie sent round a chit put  in the post box to inform us the bins were available ...I have not taken up the offer of one yet.... I have always  carted  my garden stuff down to the dechetterie to get rid ..so know nothing of instructions as to use that comes with them .........the thought of rats is somthing else...... my wife has forty fits if she finds lizards where she does not expect  to see them .and we have plenty of them so ....rats would just be the end !......my next door neighbor was such a help to me when I needed to cut the hedge down from 14 foot to six when I bought the place  as they were overgrown connifers . I dont want to upset him ....but  I will just have to have words !   thanks for your input .....

That's Ok.

If she hasn't had any experience either, it's easy to make this mistake.

If you have a French neighbour who understands the problem, perhaps they could help, but basically no meat, fat, or anything that has been cooked or processed - apart from cardboard and paper - should go on the compost.

That's the simplest way I can put it. If you want to talk about compost and how wonderful it is, please send me a private message, or I will be at risk of boring you, your neighbour (by association) and everyone else here, to death.

That said, if anyone disagrees with what I have said, please don't hesitate. There are not enough hours in my day to talk about compost[:D]

Archived