Complete France Forum

OVERGROWN GARDEN PROJECTS BY PROJECTS,

Pun

Its been yet another very hot day, the sort your looking for the not so manual sort of work in the garden to do, "no spade work" thats for sure.

So as Ive said in the past this garden is the largest Ive ever owned and the orchard again big (15) apple 2 very big cherry and 4 green gage + 3 nut trees,

Now when we bought the house we thought the garden was big and very over grown and it was a task we really had to think about ref the future and the fact that like all folk we do age,

Did we want to become slaves to our garden?

But more important could we manage to (a) get it in order?  (B) keep it the way we wanted it to be without going round in a big circle.

Well ,the ans to question 1 is we,d like to enjoj the garden and spend at least 6 hours per day in it, yes is the reply.

And  ref the could we manage such a large garden is I hope going to help people like us see how we are going about this task and why we feel we,re doing things the way we,re doing them from project to project,

So when I put a view on this site its in the hope Im helping one or two people with a simular situation to come to a thought or two that may help, and thats all,

In January/Feb, I started to try and clear away the over grown mess at the rear of our new home,

It really was over grown and to add insult, we found an old 40feet long sheep/barbed wire fence that had long ago fallen to the ground and then nature had done its task and covered with earth/ brambles, we didnt know it was waiting for us,

but because we,d decided to us a scythe and hedge clippers (not electric ones) to cut away all we could at ground level and then rotovate the roots up, we didnt damage any machine when we found the wire and rotted wooden post.

this is the first lesson, take your time, you dont know what is waiting for you when clearing land,

the winter is I feel the best time to do this work if you can ,as (a) the grass/brambles,ect are not growing and the tempature is better when its cooler rather than a heat wave and after a days work like this a bath or shower and a nice fire side chair really do work while you plan tomorrows  continuation of the clearing task,

More tomorrow.

Archived