Complete France Forum

OVERGROWN PROJECT DOUBLE GATES.

Pun

I did say last week I,d talk about gates "double gates"

Now I feel a nice set of gates not only set the scene for that private but looked after feel but also for a safer feeling if animals or children are tobe cared for.

The house Ive just put gates up at is down a track and about 1/4 of a mile from a slower road,

but having said this the odd vehicle that drives past our path leading to the new gates wouldnt drive any slower than a lot of the french do on the normal road and lets be honest thats fast.

even with this lack of normal traffic "rush hour is noon and two tractors race home until 2pm and thats about it except for the bread lady about 4 pm"

inspite of this I feel the gates are a must,

Oh Ive just thought come the hunting season we can now keep the lost hunting dogs outside our garden and the wondering deer of an evening.

But a lot of people seem to be worried about fitting gates from scratch!

No need, let me tell you why,and how Ive done mine.

Why, I decided to do my own

I did want wood double gates and went along to a one man company to ask for the suppy, of both gates and post and all to be fitted.

He came looked and as always couldnt give a price or even near price on that day,

But I would get this info in a couple of weeks,

6 WEEKS went by and I called in to ask if he was sending the info,

1 WEEK later this info came, nearly 800eur for the gates 3ooeur for post and delivery cost 200eur all plus tax and he couldnt fit them we,d have to sort this out,

After getting over the shock I went to see him at the work place 6miles from door to door, and ask why the delivery charge 200eur and why couldnt he fit them

after a lot of shoulder lifting and hand waving I thought to hell with this and thanked him and left.

that after noon I went to our local Brico and looked at verious gates both metal/wood/plastic,

We decided on a metal "very french" looking pair with all the fittings and key lock, and to my surprise it was a special offer and a free side gate,

the lot came to just under 300euro But we did have to sort out how we wanted to hang the gates at extra cost.

We decided on the block pillar system, This is just blocks of precast cement building blocks that sit on top of [:)] each block as you lay one on top of the other, there is a lip on every block ready to recieve the next block, so keeping this part of your block level is simple using a spirti level

The blocks we decided to use have a rough outer look and each block looks like it,s been pointed so when you have finished building your post it really looks like a pro has been at work.

Stores neede,

Blocks depending how high you intend to build your post.,

2x pillar tops, (I used a square shaped top on each post to finish the job)

Steel inner frame (again this is a personal  choice) Its a steel frame you buy from the Brico or any building supy yard, and the frame is fitted from the start of the build, the advantage is that your post if hit by a vehicle etc will have a much better chance of not falling completly down due to this steel frame being set in the concrete you would have layed to build your post,

As Ive said in the past Im going to gite this building out in a year and want it to be as safe as poss. but you dont have to use steel if you dont want to.

its cheap and gives that peace of mind.

SAND/CEMENT/GRAVAL,

I bought my own cement mixer a while ago so I,ll mix my own concrete, but if for some reason (health etc) you can buy ready mixed.

SHOVEL/SPIRIT LEVEL, STRING/TAPE/TAPE MEASURE.

Having measured  the area you want to put your gates isnt always a simple as it should be, I found with the larger pre made gates I was about 2 feet short,

1 foot on each side, and the ideal place a bit down the path and narrower had tree roots just under the ground, So my plot ended up with 1foot space each side, this we have planted a thorny bush to help keep little people in and wild deer out.

A good tip befor you put any gate post up is to get both gates layed down on the ground tape them closed and now stand them up,

by doing this you can see just the place you,ll need the post to be and what if any ground will need sorted ref the gates opening/closing

The post,

make sure you have a good solid foundation, I dug 18in and then put the frame in and the first block, made sure the block was level and inline with the opp,

foundation and did the same on that side and just left both these concrete frames and first blocks to go off and set solid

As I have lots to do with this house I didnt come back to the steel frames and first blocks for 2 days, I then rechecked the level and the gates (by standing the taped gates in between the first blocks and every thing was fine, Its very important you get this correct as your next blocks will aslo recieve the bottom pin,s for hanging the finished gates, so they must be correct now.

I now decide the best way was not to put to many blocks on each other, so 3 blocks on each post at a time (3 each day on each side)

as I lifted each block over the steel frame and placed it on the pre/made lip of the set block below I filled this last layed block with concrete and checked with the spirit level all was level and then continued this method on both post, 3 blocks a day

I needed 11 blocks plus the top pillar to complete the post on each side and having completed this task ensuring that the levels checked and rechecked and the gate pins are spaced the same distance out of the post,

let these post go off for at least 3 days from when you finished, and then its the big opening day,

I NOW DECLARE THESE GATES OPEN,

AND DONT FORGET TO GREESE THE LOCKING DEVICES AND PAINT YOUR NEW GATES,

You can go one better than me and fit a gate hold-open hook,

I hope this has given you a better feel ref building gate post that not only look good, add the extra value to your home but help keep it a safer place for animals and little people.

good gardening

Hi Anton,

the good thing about round post is you,ve just got to get then in line as aposed to squaring them as well, but as long as it looks good/works and is safe and pleases the owner, who could ask for more,

Ive painted mine black and at the top of  each railing is a spear shape, theses are painted with hammerlite (not sure of the spelling on this one)

copper colour, the hammerlite we purchased over here in the Brico, as long as you stir the copper paint every  few minutes to keep the specs from settling in the bottom of the tin, it all works well,

nice talking to you,

good gardening.

Gates really set off a property and give it a 'together' feel.

We got ours fitted for security reasons more than safety reasons. Guy, the chap who cuts our grass is a general handyman and he fitted ours for a very reasonable price. Its a five barred type ranch gate...suitable for the location ....and the gateposts were re-cycled Railway sleepers which we got cheap from the farmer. Everyone uses them locally for heavy duty fencing or posts. The big advantage is they are impregnated with lots of bitchumen and so they are preserved.

Hi Mozman,

nice to hear from you, I do agree the gates have that "together feel"

We cant get railway sleepers around here for love nor money, but to fair we,ve yet to look for a re-claim yard.

Its one of a few things I do miss from my days back in the U.K. that and my favourit gardening centre "Bridgemere"

regards and good gardening.

Bridgemere Garden World is about 20 miles away from my home in England. Its wonderful for a whole day and there is lots of choice. But the problem is  I have to go through Stoke-on Trent to get to it from my home near Alton Towers...eek....not the thing to get me into a pastoral frame of mind!!

I love browsing mail order catalogues for unusual things.....and the plants always look so spectacular in the glossy pages. (Then a shrivelled three inch stick comes through the post.:lol

Hi Mozman,

Some great news, I wasnt expecting to be going back to bridgemere for some time but as I,ll be in the U.K. (north-wales)  sep or oct, I ve been granted permision by the boss to go to Bridgemere and sort some rose plants out, So Im over the moon and will do as commanded by her in doors order,s

and I,ll be taking my trailer,

Do you find Roses cost more here in France than in the U.K.? or is it me thinking they do.

Anyway I,ll think of you when fighting of all those happy gardeners and enjoying a coffee in the enlarged res/cafe area.

good gardening.[:D]

Archived