Complete France Forum

Fumier

CeeJay

I have a petit jardin of about 100sq.mtrs and because it is very sandy soil it needs a load of manure, however I have to return to Uk in November until next April and my cunning plan is to put a layer of manure on top of the soil now and then use a rotavator to mix it into the soil. Afterwards I then propose to cover the soil with a Geotextile material with the hope that the rain permeates through into the soil yet inhibits weed growth and lasts until next April.

My question is do I need to dig the manure in first of all with a spade or will the rotavator do the job and is there a percieved problem with using the Geotextle.

My neighbour Henriette has the most magnificient paysager that you have ever seen and is self sufficient for all of the year and that is in Normandie.

She just puts the fumier on the soil and lets the goodness seep into the ground and the worms do their bit and then in the spring rotivates and then cleans up the paysager.

Thats way but she augments the fumier and that is since I gave her as a present a re-cycled plastic compost maker together with an organic activator.  Ever weed (annuals) peelings from the veg rotten apples et al all go into her compost maker and you should see the results.  Sweet smelling and perfect for all sorts of things.

Archived