Complete France Forum

iris

Wilko

Hi

I planted some 100 iris bulbs in front of the mas last year and they looked gorgeous in the Spring. At the moment I notice that some of them are showing signs of life. Question: Do I just leave them ? Is there something I should do ? Should I have dug them up at the end of the year/sometime. I imagine that when the winter frosts come these growths will be killed off ? As you have probably gathered I am an inexperienced gardener so any tips would be apreciated.

Rgds

Wilko 

Are these iris reticulata you've got?

[img]http://www.susanavery.com.au/samples/flowers/images/iris_reticulata.jpg[/img]

If so, just leave them.  They do not need lifting or anything, they can

be left to spread unless you decide to lift and divide (after

flowering, once leaves have died down).

I haven't grown them for years so I can't recall when the leaves

normally show, but I thought it was normally mid-winter.  Let us know

what happens!

Hi Cassis

Thanks for your input. The flowers were similar but I have no idea as to what type as the packaging has long gone. I would put a photo on here but I don't seem to be able to work out how to do it, probably due to complete stupidity. Since I mailed yesterday quite a lot more have emerged from the ground and seem to be growing at a furious rate. If you could let me know how to do the photo thingy I will post a couple. Thanks for your patience.

rgds

Wilko

[quote user="Wilko"]

... At the moment I notice that some of them are showing signs of life. Question: Do I just leave them ? Is there something I should do ? Should I have dug them up at the end of the year/sometime. [/quote]

Wilko mine are growing like mad too, but then so are other things that shouldn't really be growing at this time of year. I'm putting it down to excellent weather for growth, and will just leave them to die back (again).

Iris are great - the old owner of our house had planted a few and I completely neglected them for a year, then transplanted them, and subsequently divided them. They are super hardy and put up with pretty much anything, and they multiply like crazy. The rooty bit spreads and covers the ground so you don't get so many weeds around them and they grow ok in semi shade too. My kind of plant. Mine are all sprouting up again now as well - I doubt any frost will bother them (a foot of snow last year, no probs) so leave them  be and they will go mad in spring.

Jane

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

The rooty bit spreads and covers the ground so you don't get so many weeds around them and they grow ok in semi shade too.

[/quote]

Sounds like bearded iris - the big, tall iris with sword-shaped leaves and tuberous roots that sit on top of the ground.  They're an excellent plant, I agree.

The reticulata type is a small cousin, grows from corms rather than rhizomes and is more like a spring bulb.

Hi Cassis

Yep. The ones I planted were bulbs not ryzhomes (spelling) so I guess they must be reticulas. i will keep you posted as to their progress, if they survive the onslaught of a Provencal winter. Tresco you are right everything is growing, the honeysuckle is flowering yet again. mind you at the mo the weather is just perfect, blue sky, no breeze and reaching 24-25 during the day.

Thanks for all your help.

Rgds

Wilko

Archived