Complete France Forum

brussels sprouts

seb47

I've grown some purple sprouts from a free packet of seeds and am trying to decide whether they are worth the space. They are strong plants - about 1/2 meter tall, but the sprouts vary in size. Some are barely visible tiddlers, and some seem to have 'blown' and look too leafy. I wonder if it's normal at this stage in autumn. Anyone think it's worth hanging on, or should I clear the space and prepare the ground for next spring? 

Don't know if purple ones are any different, but sprouts were a midwinter crop on our allotment when we were in the UK.  Some people reckon that they are best after they have been hit by frost.  Tall brussels stems stripped of sprouts except for a few at the top used to be a common sight at the end of winter, they were almost never cleared until it was time to prepare for spring planting.

My rows of sprouts have just started to bud, so hoping for some at Christmas.However I did see some on sale yesterday in Carrefour and very nice they looked too. The disadvantage of living in a veggie growing area, if it can be termed a disadvantage, is that the farmers veggies always look better and are so cheap I wonder if it's worth the effort.

I suppose the highlight of growing your own is when your grandchildren can dig some of their dinner and know it doesn't always come in sealed plastic packets from thousands of miles away and is fresh.

Regards.

Archived