Complete France Forum

Roofing repair post Grele storm

RicandJo

Hi all,

I wonder please if some of you kind souls might offer me some advice, before I go find a lawyer.....

A little time ago a rather violent hailstorm occurred in our village - hail stones as big as golf balls and peaches. Our roof (amongst other stuff) being canal tiles was essentially trashed.

Artisan came along and did a 'revision' - all approved by assurance etc etc. We had some concerns at the time but were assured all is fine, despite every other property in the village with similar roofs receiving complete overhauls. We were later advised by one artisan at another property it's essential after such a storm - you can replace only those visibly broken tiles (as was done in our case) but many more will have hairline fractures not visible to the human eye, but come the winter weather will open up and leak. The best course of action is complete renovation. I wish he was our artisan but sadly he wasn't.

Long story short - two months after work was done it rained for the first time since the storm - and guess what? Roof leaked like a sieve.

Artisan has been back five times to 'patch it up', and now says there's nothing more he can do. We have 13 buckets in the grenier to catch water, we've had several other artisans come and laugh at the work and how poor it is.

Our assurance 'Generali" are being less use than no use - its our problem and the artisan's according to them.

Basically what I'm looking to figure out is who should I be taking on to get the job done as it should have been done in the first place? Our insurance? The artisan's insurance? or the artisan himself? Obviously it's going to take time now to resolve so I'm in the position of having to find the cash to repair the roof properly then try and recover the cost through the courts......

If anybody can recommend a good lawyer in Languedoc too I'd appreciate it - I work away in UAE so most comms will have to be by email.....

Appreciate any advice - thanks a lot.

R.

Avoid using a lawyer if you can possibly do so. The only result is likely to be a possible judgement in your favour after probably a decade or more and a significant hole in your pocket which ever way the judgement goes. The award of costs is at a level that best fits the real costs in the middle of the last century.

If you have protection juridique as part of your house insurance, then use this (and embarrass the insurance company to boot) to get resolution.

Archived