Complete France Forum

Peppers and chillies

seb47

Does anyone else find pepper and chilli seeds such a b-----r to get started - even at a constant cosy temperature inside? I'm on the third attempt now with only a few stragglers to show, while my son in law in England has dozens on the go from saved seeds to boot!

(Sud ouest today:" Quand mars se deguise en ete, avril prend ses habits fourres". What, fur coats in April?)

Hi seb47 I grow lots and lots here in Normandie.  However they are somewhat difficult and in some cases they take almost three weeks to germinate.  I have a hot blanket under mine with the greenhouse both having power and heating.  However only just started as I have been back in the UK on business and now had guests for over twelve days.

Also snow here today and yesterday and I do not want to go out having a case to work on.

However if they do germinate and when I pot on I will try to send you some in the post in special plastic containers that I have here.

Also have just only ten seeds of allegedly the hottest chilli in the world as well as countless packets of other hot and not so hot varieties.  If you want some of these then just send me a pm.

Kind regards

I used to start ours off in the airing cupboard.  Not having one here, the next best place is a boiler room.  Failing that, a small, cheap heated propagator.  They need constant warmth 24 hrs a day for several days (about 10 days usually, but longer if the temp. drops at any time) to germinate reliably.

Archived