Complete France Forum

using insecticide on young plants

loulou71

I'm fairly new to gardening (but try my best!).

I've put a lot of effort into growing young plants from seed (peppers, toms and courgette) and was disappointed to find that the courgettes (despite surrounding them with ash - as i didn't want to use chemicals) have been attacked by slugs and 'something' has eaten the leaves on the toms (the pots are off the ground and no sign of slugs or any insect).

I think rather than lose the lot, I'm going to have to  use some insecticide - I'll look for a 'bio' one though - but can anyone advise whether it's okay to spray very young plants?

Thank you

How frustrating, when you've nurtured them from seed. It does sound like the work of slugs as there's nothing they like better than young tender leaves. They could get to plants in pots too. I would start with slug pellets as I find these work well, may need to be renewed if the weather is wet. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't use insecticide on vegetables, ever. If it was insects I think there would be signs of them on the plants. Pat.

I posted above about using slug pellets and now realise that they are nearly as bad as insecticides. They probably don't affect the vegetables but are harmful to other creatures if eaten. Chris mentioned hedgehogs. Seems that you can't win. Pat.

Archived