Complete France Forum

flowering onions

seb47

Am I right in thinking that my flowering onions are 'going to seed' - probably due to the early hot spell? Did I do right therefore in cutting off the flowering tops- my thinking being that the energy would be diverted to the roots?

Flowering onions are supposed to "run to seed" - ie. flower.

So yes they are early due to the weather, no you should not really have cut of the flower heads - they may not flower this year now, but yes the bulb will probably be strengthened so long term no harm done.

Sue,   If they are just the usual onions, it is best to start using  the onions that are going to seed now.  Because the inner cores of the onions that are going to seed become tough and not very nice to eat.

Pip 24 - hope you don't originate from my neck of the woods in Wakefield? I'll dig a couple up to see the state of the onions for eating. Interestingly (or not) I had planted some garlic around my roses - to deter greenfly, and as usual went over the top and planted far too many. So after removing a lot of them last week I decided to roast the slightly immature garlic bulbs with Sunday lunch. The result was violent maladie, so will be a little hesitant to go down the same road with the onions! The roses are good though.

Llwyncelyn - the sets were planted last autumn. Thanks again for the chillies which are now going well but still in the greenhouse.

Archived