Complete France Forum

Water wells

Divot

Does anyone have any experience of installing a water well in France? We are in the final throes of completing a new build project in the Aude and are now thinking about the garden/landscaping and long term maintenance. Ideally we'd like to sink a well/borehole to supplement water supplies and would be interested to hear from anyone who has had experience with this task.

This is quite easy but the cost depends on a couple of factors - depth of the water table and what the grounds made of - bore holes with pumps are entirely commonplace in france so it would be quite easy to get local quotes. Only tip really is make sure it goes deep enough as for reasons I don't fully understand once in place they cannot be extended, a completely new one has to be drilled if you need an extra couple of metres., probably something to do with the lining or similar.

Depends on the region - but where we are you get 2 advantages - one the water is free but also in a very dry summer they forbid watering with city water but not with a bore hole until it gets really dry and water table drops too much.

I think that you will find that in the Aude the rule goes that if there is a restriction on the public water supply it also applies to a well supply too. After all the water all comes from the same source??? I may have totally mis-informed, but??? We would love a well, but we are sat on a bruddy great rock platuex and it is probably not possible. I will have to get my hazel fork out.[8-|]

Matt you may be able to get your seal from a local brico. They have all sorts. Just ask? Take the old one in if you can.

Archived