Complete France Forum

Self sufficient shrubs/fruit trees

Fiona

As I do not know a lot about gardening (albeit my Father is a very keen gardener back home), can you advise on a shrub or fruit tree that we could plant now before going back home in 2 weeks time which would be self sufficent by then after daily watering?

Unfortunately, some of the Garden Centres visited so far do not speak English so we are at a loss as our French is not good.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

p.s. Sorry - meant to say we are in the Var (83) - VERY HOT!!!!!!!!

This time of year is not for planting, you really need to plant in cooler, wetter weather, the Autumn is usually best, if not early spring.

You could have a look round at what other people grow and try digging largish holes and mixing in swellgel when you plant to be honest I suspect you may waste your time and money.......someone local may know better

Good luck with it anyway..................

in my experience the only things that you can let grow/plant without care are weeds!

As the definition of a weed is "a plant in the wrong place" then try looking at species that are native to your area. What is in your neighbours' gardens?

trees and bigger things are usually "out" for this time of year, even if you are around to look after them.

When are you expecting to be back next? In my experience plants grown elsewhere and planted in the garden do not do as well as seeds sown. Sow some squash / courgette / haricots nain now and you may come back to a glut or not - but the plants will have a chance.

Oh, and if you get them established then raspberries can be very invasive!

Archived