Complete France Forum

very sour apples

mooky

We have a tree in the garden that each year produces beautiful  looking apples. They are so very sour, even when cooking with masses of sugar. I'm sorry if this sounds silly, but can you put anything on the tree to make the fruit sweeter. Just seems a waste of apples if you can't use them.

Yeah I had this problem and have it sorted. There is a solution called Alouettes de Provence d'Or which addresses the problem but it takes two years. Basically it comes in the form of strips of impregnated tape which you wrap round the tree and hold in place with garden string. It works better if you remove all the bark beneath the tape so it can reach the trunk proper. But, try not to let the solution freeze so vover the treated area with plastic during the two years.  You should be able to get the stuff in agricultural wholesalers (I've not seen it in the supermarkets). If your French is not so good ask for Solution pour rendre les fruits de mes pommiers plus sucrés and give them the name. Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

woolybanana

Or you could make apple jelly.  Cut/mash the apples and boil in a big tub until very soft.  Strain though muslin or a jelly bag if you can find one, boil up again with loads of sugar and put in clean jars, I also add sprigs of apple mint too.  Fantastic with meat or cheese.   I also made it once by putting the apples through a juicer, worked OK and got more juice but end result not so clear.  Around October time I get asked if I am making it again for Christmas prezzies......

You can also mix the apple extract with other fruit (rhubarb, balckberries, plums etc) for nice old fasioned jam on your croissants.

Archived