Complete France Forum

laurel hedges

fussy

can anyone help with laurel hedges please, we want to plant some quite

near to the house, is this a good idea, as someone has said that they

will be full of insects in the summer, also when should we start

planting, if there is a better and faster growing hedge, we would

grateful for the name.

we are also looking for a sound barrier, the farmer is about to install chickens and ducks.thank you in advance.

We planted a few in spring 2004 and they looked dreadful all summer (canicule!) but now they've grown so thick and wide I'll have to trim them back this autumn.

I have not noticed a particular insect invasion on or around them.

Best time for planting will be mid to late autumn and the nurseries will most probably have special offers around that time.

Sorry I cannot advise re sound barrier as I live in a quiet area!

thank you for your reply, I envy you your quietness, thats what we had

aswell, the said farmer has for years just grown crops, so we are very

sad that he has now decided on ducks and chickens, they will be so near

to our garden too, if the noise is too awful could we go to the maire

or would he back the farmer, sorry this has deviated from our laurel

hedge, I'm panicking a bit.

Fussy, I think the legal limits mentioned are about putting the hedge well within your own property, not on the boundary.  There are different regulations - for example (and dont quote me on the exact measurements) a hedge must be planted half a metre in on your land, but if you are going to allow it to grow to more than 2 metres high then it must be at least one metre in etc etc.  As I said I dont know the exact regs but this is the gist - ask at your mairie.  We planted ours 1 metre in and although we didnt have to as we will not let it get over 2 metres it allows us to get our mower between the hedge and our neighbour and allows us plenty of room for trimming on the neighbours side without having to go onto their property or for the hedge to encroach their property.  Phew!!  Hope that helps.

Also we were told to plant 80 cm apart as the hedge with thicked and merge in although it looks like a big gap at first.

[quote user="fussy"]thank you for your reply, I envy you your quietness, thats what we had aswell, the said farmer has for years just grown crops, so we are very sad that he has now decided on ducks and chickens, they will be so near to our garden too, if the noise is too awful could we go to the maire or would he back the farmer, sorry this has deviated from our laurel hedge, I'm panicking a bit.
[/quote]I guess it depends on your maire and your area, but I would be most surprised if, in a rural area, the farmer's livlihood didn't take precendece over your sensibilities.  On the other hand, I can't see the harm in having a tactful word with the maire or his/her staff to find out where you'd stand if things get too bad.  Although in my own experience it's often better to have a friendly chat with the farmer first.  If it's any consolation, they do tend to settle down after dark (the poultry, not farmers) - it's the cockerels who never seem to know what time of day it is!

thanks for another reply, I know the farmer livihood comes before

feelings, its just that we had a wonderful unspoilt view of many green

fields and total peace and quiet, (thats why we bought the house) now

the view is interupted by an unsightly huge lean-to type thing covered

in corrigated sheets, and maybe noise all day, we are not youngsters so

turning the radio up loud won't be an option, just wanted to end our

years in peace and quiet. That is of course why we came to france.

I'll pop into the Marie (sic) asap to see what the situation is but, I suspect the farmer has pulled a fast one here. Sells you a house with lovely view, makes a good bit of dosh and then shoves up chicken hutches. When I mentioned regulations I meant the space between your property which is a dwelling and his chicken huts. Whilst he might have been able to have the chickens in his bedroom when the house was his, he ain't got the right to stick 'em that close to you now. I have a sort of feeling that 100 metres is the minimum but I may be wrong there. He may be taking advantage of your gullibility or lack of experience or lack of French to get away with one here and should be stopped.

Of course if your French is good, then tackle him after seeing the Marie and perhaps a notaire. But be firm, don't give way whatever. I'm sure he can put the huts elsewhere on his land, like right next to his own house.

Farmers have a right to make a living as they can but not at the expense of other peoples comfort and lives. And some of them are a right load of old twisters. (I know a few).

Archived