Complete France Forum

Resin on of peach? tree.

Jazzer

Without seeing it, it sounds as if the tree may have been damaged in some way and these are weeping wounds.  Its not been a very good year for many plants, as indeed my peach tree (Well the half the cows can't reach!) had half a dozen fruit on it last month and last weekend it had two shrivelled little things like raisins left.   Something also decimated the redcurrants.   The weather may have a lot to do with this, ie. the wind could have ripped branches off your tree hence the damage.   Lets hope for a summer next year huh?? [:)]

I am not an expert, but we inherited an apricot tree here and then planted a very small peach tree. The apricot tree has done really well and the peach is ok but getting very small fruits and has suffered from leaf curl. Both trees produce a lot of this resin stuff (transluscent  amber-coloured hard stuff that hangs down from the branches and sometimes the fruit). I have also seen it on the wild plum trees around here so it would appear to be fairly normal. Is yours a big tree? If so, it should be producing fruit. If it is a peach it may have leaf curl (puckered-looking leaves and early-dropping fruit). Post a photo if you can, if you want others in the know to identify the tree for you,

Jane

We have two peach trees, very close to each other.   One seems to have leaf curl, but not the other.   Last year we had a good crop from both.   This year I pruned a little, fertilised, took off some small peaches where there seemed to be too many (rom the non-leaf curl tree).   This year the peaches on the 'good' tree are enormous compared to last year, and there are simply loads of them.   Not sure whether my pruning / fertilising actually did the trick or whether its just happened that way, but could be worth a try on your tree.

The tree with leaf curl has got err two peaches on it this year !!    There wasn't a large number which then dropped, perhaps another 5, making a total of 7 at start of peach production.    Would the leaf curl  prevent a tree from fruiting at all ?   and does anyone know the name of the product I can buy here for leaf curl please ?   My neighbour advises me to spray in February, but she can't recall the name of what to buy.

Spray developing buds before flower in Jan/Feb

Timing is important. A copper fungicide or mancozeb should be applied as the buds begin to swell and then repeated 14 days later. Bud swelling normally occurs in late January or early February but may be delayed in colder districts. Spraying must be completed BEFORE flower buds open.

June/July/August

If a tree is losing leaves, fertilize and make sure it is kept well watered and mulched. Collect and dispose of infected leaves before spores appear to limit the number of spores overwintering on the plant.

September

Another application of copper fungicide or mancozeb at leaf fall may also be beneficial.

Got all this from here   www.shootgardening.co.uk

Londoneye,

I presume you and the trees are in France. Peach leaf curl is called "la cloque" and the copper sulphate product you want is called bordeaux mixture or "bouille bordelaise" here and you need to use it at various times of the year. You will find it in any diy / garden place. It is a blue powder which you mix with water to the appropiate strength to combat quite a few afflictions ( not just on peaches)

Search for these phrases and read up on the internet - there are heaps of sites out there.

EDIT: for example see this site 

You will find details of how to use it on the packet too.

Danny

• 1 month later...

Archived