Complete France Forum

Border Incursion

ali-cat

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest a diplomatic solution to what I hope isn't going to be an ongoing problem.  Our property has a circa 1.5 acre field which is nice and flat and easily mown and bordered by our neighours - an elderly lady and her son who farms the land.

The bordering edge of the field is a little less level and I haven't been able to mow right up to the edge so there is a little fringe of rough grass there but the boundary at one end of the field is easily seen as the wall behind the patio marks it.  A few days ago the neighbour's son was ploughing his field and ploughed right up to the mown grass - cutting into our land by 1-2 metres in some parts.  We have been here for 8 months and on the occasions we've spoken to out neighbours we've got on fine despite any language difficulties. In fact I had a 25 minute conversation with the son last week - 24 minutes and 30 seconds of which I didn't understand - but still very amicable.

However - when we were buying the house the buyers did mention having some problems previously and had got the geometiere to plot the land.  A plan was produced signed by both parties but the marker 'bombs' have long since disappeared.

It doesn't cause us a problem as such as there's still enough grass to mow and I'm assuming he just ploughed up to where he thought the boundary was as indicated by the rough grass.  I certainly don't want to fall out over this.  However now I can't mow right up to the new edge because of the ploughing and I'm a little concerned the same thing will happen next year.  I'm also considering extending the cultivated  part of the garden and would want to erect a fence.

Grateful for any advice.

Mr Cat

[quote user="ali-cat"]

A plan was produced signed by both parties but the marker 'bombs' have long since disappeared.

[/quote]

I can only echo what has previously been said re the importance of  bornes; as our neighbours - long before we arrived on the scene - practically came to blows (so I have been informed) in the past in a dispute over one (small) boundary which they share. To clarify matters they got the géomètre- expert in to sort out precisely who owned what. Since that day the bornes are carefully weeded around and have nothing at all growing near them to make completely sure to everybody that the boundary is scrupulously maintained intact by both neighbours - who still don't don't speak to each other 12 years on.

Sue

"Bombs" must be the phonetic of "bornes".

As I said the markers were long gone when we bought the house.  Is there any possiblity of the geometiere replacing the bornes without having to remap and survey as we still have the original maps and documents?

Regards

Mr Cat

The géomètre is the only person who can answer that one.

If you have his details, why not give him a call?

If you don't know who did the measuring, you'll need to call  and ask in general terms...

I doubt it will be free, even with the original measurements...

Archived