Complete France Forum

Painting a compost bin - is it ok?

chocccie

My compost bins are made up of pallets .... I would like to paint them some cheery colours to bring a bit of extra life to the garden during winter months.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't?  Would the chemicals in the paint seep into the compost (which I would be using on food crops)?

I think it should be ok as I will only be painting the outside of the pallets .. .the insides, where the compost goes, is lined with plastic.

So, if I can do it.... any suggestions of nice colour themes?  I want it to look bright and cheerful without being gaudy.  I don't want a boring tasteful green though, or anything like that.  I was thinking maybe a lilacs & purples .... but I would welcome inspiration!

Thanks!  [:)]

How about that sort of Moroccan orange ?    With some brown or yellow patterns on.    I am sure you could find inspiration from any site which sells Moroccan goods.   Just a thought because their gardens are so lovely and they often have pots etc of those colours in them.

No idea about the other part, although I can't think of any reason why painting the outside of pallets would harm anything - paint is no longer lead-based is it ???     I guess if you can paint childrens' bedrooms (and what's to stop them licking the walls!) then a compost bin should be ok, as you describe.

Many beekeepers paint the outside of their hives in sometimes bizzare colours - the paint doesn't effect the bees so wont effect your compost.  Pour the paint ON the compost and you've got a problem.

I wanted to paint our 9 bins that rather nice blue and grey that you see on shutters but OH says the colours would be out of keeping.

Rats and Rats again

Archived