Complete France Forum

Adjusting a strimmer

Chrissie

Have just had my big petrol-driven strimmer returned from a service and they have moved the handle bit.  I can see clearly where it used to be - but then it was always very uncomfortable for me to use anyway.  I felt I was carrying a lot of weight with my left hand and often singed my right elbow on the motor bit.  I wondered if there was any kind of formula or system for working out where the front handle should be, and setting the length of the strap thing, to make it as easy as possible to use......?  The guys you see doing the local verges etc seem to wag it about effortlessly for hours.

Chrissie (81)

I BOUGHT A STIHL strimmer a few years ago and it had a bicycle type handlebar which I found great.

I gave it to my daughter and bought a new one as she kept borrowing it and it was never at home when I needed it!!!!!!!

However they had changed to a two handled bar which i found gave me an arm burn unless I held the machine very carefully which was annoying.

I took it back and changed the bars to a bicycle type and hey presto problem solved.

Might be a good idea to return it and get them to adjust the position or change to a handle bar type if not already that type.if you are a short person then I guess it is a bit more of a problem as you are lifting it all the time.

Thanks for that, Ab - my strimmer has a sort of hoop which I use for carrying it about when not running, plus a bar which is what I try to hold on to while strimming.  If I hold the hoop then I really feel the strain. 

I just wondered if there was a sort of optimum triangle formed  by left shoulder, left hand and right hand which minimised the pain!....

Chrissie (81)

Being tall and left-handed, I had a problem with comfort with mine. In the end I switched the controls to the other side of the bars then stood with the adjusters loose (the part that slides on the tube and the part that allows changes to the angle of the bars). When I found a comfortable position Mrs BB nipped up the bolts and voila, a comfortable strimmer.

Hope you can understand all this..........................[:)]

Set it so that when you let go of the handles the thing is balanced - the strap has a number of holes it can clip to on the body of the strimmer, to acheive this.  Set the harness so that the strimmer hangs from your hip and the position the handles forwards / backwardss so that your arms are comfortable, bent at the elbows.  Much easy to do than write about!  Check the instructions (doh !).  Then you'll be able to wag it around with very little effort and look the pro !.  This of course assumes you have a cycle handle style strimmer, if you bought one of the other styles, then tuff [6]

Always always always wear eye protection, its not a joke.

Archived