Complete France Forum

Electric Strimmers

britgirl

Does anyone have any experience of using electric strimmers.

I need something that is 'man' enough to cope with the edges of my field which is just under 4,000 sq. mtrs. I've got more than enough cable, from caravanning days, to reach the far end, so that will not be a problem.

At the moment I've got a petrol one (Stihl FS 80)  but I don't have enough strength in my arms to fire it up. It also too heavy for me.

Many Thanks.

My experience with electric strimmers is that they are not much use at all, but you never know, there might be some better ones out there.  However, you have all the associated problems of long cable runs, voltage drop, etc.  You might find a lighter petrol strimmer is easier - I use a Tanaka and it's very light and effective - especially with a set of nylon blades instead of the nylon line. 

Dave

Stihl make an electric one, so do Husqvrana (spelling ??).  Dont know how good they are though.  My experience of electric strimmers is of Black and Decker and there is no way I'd recommend one of those pieces of cr*p.  I would think that electric ones are not much lighter than a small petrol one, not as you'd notice anyhow.  The key with these things is the harness, get a proper one and hang it right, they are no effort to use, get it wrong and you'll be putting it back in the shed after 10 mins of use !  Also the ones with bicycle style handle bars are much much easier  to use, good exercise for the lower back !!  You talk of a field, I cant see an electric strimmer being practical here, but its your choice, and all that cable ....

To help with starting, replace the plug and air filter regulary.  Always run the fuel out, never leave fuel in the tank for long periods as it goes off quickly.  When starting, pull the cord a couple of times to "loosen" the engine and then pull slowly until you feel the piston on its compression stroke, stop.  Set choke (if cold) and throttle to start position and push in the decompression button (if fitted).  Then pull the cord smartly.  Should start !!!!!! 

Many thanks for the help and advice.

So sorry Pierre ZFP but once (if) I sell here the strimmer has already got a new home.

Buckdendave: I still think that even with a lighter petrol strimmer, I will still have the same difficulty. I have problems 'firing' up the lawnmower

as well.I don't have enough upper body strength.

Tracteurtom: Thanks for the tips. As a complete 'numpty' about anything mechanical (computers included) I think I may have to call a few                      favours in.

The good news is that I can use the tractor for most things. All I have to do is turn a key.[:)]

Just as well my cup is always half full and not half empty, and I can still laugh at the mistakes I make.

Archived