Complete France Forum

Can anyone identify this tree?

Ian

We have a tree outside our house which is baffling my wife. Even with the aid of half a dozen reference books, she can't identify it, so I said I'd ask the forum.

She describes it as "A tree about 4-5 metres high. The flowers, out now, are pendant racemes, purply-pink, while the leaves are like wisteria leaves"

Any ideas?

Thanks

[quote user="Ian"]We have a tree outside our house which is baffling my wife. Even with the aid of half a dozen reference books, she can't identify it, so I said I'd ask the forum.

She describes it as "A tree about 4-5 metres high. The flowers, out now, are pendant racemes, purply-pink, while the leaves are like wisteria leaves"

Any ideas?

Thanks
[/quote]

A photo of your tree woulf be a great help Ian...

While you're pondering that one, I wonder if anyone can put a name to our mystery tree? It's just finished flowering, I wish I'd thought to get a picture while it was in bloom... The flowers appear before the leaves making quite a striking effect.  They are pale mauve/bluish and are narrow trumpet shaped, about three inches long. In the previous two years we've only seen a few flowers, but this year it's been absolutely covered in them. Any ideas?

[quote user="Roz"]While you're pondering that one, I wonder if anyone can put a name to our mystery tree? It's just finished flowering, I wish I'd thought to get a picture while it was in bloom... The flowers appear before the leaves making quite a striking effect.  They are pale mauve/bluish and are narrow trumpet shaped, about three inches long. In the previous two years we've only seen a few flowers, but this year it's been absolutely covered in them. Any ideas?[/quote]

Have a look at the thread concerning the Polonia (Paulownia) tree. Sounds a likely candidate.

I agree - it's almost certainly a paulownia (Japanese Dragon Tree).

They are wonderful for one week when in flower in early May, but are a ----- nuisance in autumn and winter when the very heavy seed pods form and start falling to the ground.

We try to cut them off before they fall to the ground, but as the tree gets bigger and bigger it becomes more difficult. It's great as a shade tree in a parking area, but the branches do get too heavy for themselves and break off if you don't keep an eye on them.

Thanks Thunderhorse - that's looks like it! The tree is now developing very broad heart-shaped leaves.  Is it also known as a "fox-glove tree"?  That would make sense given the shape of the flowers!

[quote user="Roz"]Thanks Thunderhorse - that's looks like it! The tree is now developing very broad heart-shaped leaves.  Is it also known as a "fox-glove tree"?  That would make sense given the shape of the flowers![/quote]

It is, indeed. I'm waiting for acesgundog to get back to me as he has some for the asking in his garden.

[quote user="thunderhorse"]
It is, indeed. I'm waiting for acesgundog to get back to me as she [:)] has some for the asking in his her [;-)] garden.

[/quote]

Hi Thunderhorse - replied to your e-mail and have just sent it again in case you didn't get the first one. Regards AGD

Archived