Complete France Forum

opening a garden in france-haute vienne

chirpy

What is invoved in opening  a garden for either a very small extra income to be re-used in garden and secondly for a charity.??

What are  official needs and costs to have permission etc.

We know of very few gardens in southern Haute Vienne--perhaps 5 so we welcome comments .[I][:)]

Although I don't know any clear answers to your questions, I'd be interested to read any replies you get.

In the UK, public liability insurance for such things is getting problematic, with some National Garden Scheme owners now being told to close off areas of their gardens on H & S grounds. The gardens (even large ones) I've visited in France seem to take a more pragmatic view of such risks. At one level an open garden is just another tourist atttraction needing the same kind of permissions, but that might seem over the top for just a few days a year. In the UK there are certain requirements if you serve refreshments to visitors, but these seem to be less OTT if you only open for less than a certain number of days per year.  Is this the same in France?

Making a profit opens up other issues, but opening for charity should be OK, especially if you invite M. le Maire to nominate a favourite local one.....? 

Opening your garden like this is huge fun if you go about it the right way, and it encourages you to keep on top of the condition of your garden!  In the UK at least, you will be forgiven much as long as your lawn edges are sharp!

Chris

Archived