Complete France Forum

pyracanthus

Belle

We have planted three of these loverly plants, up until the end of last week they were full of beautiful orange berries, and stood up to their name (fire thorn) when the gorgeous winter sun shone on them, however, I am gutted to see that the birds have stripped them down to just the branches, whilst I am a regular feeder of the birds, we have three bird tables always full of seeds for them, I really am cross that they want our pyracanthus, does anyone know how we can stop this happening next year. We were told by some friends not to get the plants with red berries, this colour attracts the birds, so we bought the plants with orange.

Hi Belle

Hope your're well!

This is probably nature's way of keeping the birds alive over winter. The birds need a bit of a change in their diet & fancy  the berries which are probably good for them.  At least you have some birds in your garden - we don't in the Vienne.

We had an acre's worth of them as hedging plants, over  6 ft tall,  in Bryanston SA - they did get raided, but always recovered.

Regards

Tegwini

The birds like berries in the order red , orange and yellow. Frankly we planted berried plants in order to attract the birds [:)]

6 weeks ago our holly tree was beautiful berried, absolutely stripped now.  On the other hand our little suburban garden attracts a wide variety of birds, from Wrens right up to the odd Heron (we have a pond too), they are a pleasure to watch.

Archived