Complete France Forum

Curled leaf Dockweed

oldgit72

I have rather a lot of these and after the recent rain they seem to have shot up and are taking over my garden and lawned areas (about 3000 sqm). I can dig them up with a spade or fork but this sometimes leaves much of the tap root (which can be 20-30cm long) in the ground and they just grow back again. If I take the mower over them, this just encourages growth also. Has anyone found a better method of getting rid of these weeds? I have seen various types of weed removal tools on the internet which are similar in design to post hole diggers - has anyone used these and do they work better than spades and forks?

sharp knife - cut just below soil surface.

Sprinkle/pile salt on open wound on root - repeat as necessary.  May take 4 or 5 attempts before you see off a well established plant, but it will die, I assure you.

Don't get lots of salt on the grass or it will kill that too.

Could try painting neat Glyphos (glyphosphate weedkiller) onto the leaves, like Roundup only cheaper, with a small paint brush. Visible results after a week and kills anything green down to root level so don't splash surrounding grass as will kill that too.................................JR

Archived